Our History

Beth Am Shalom: Reform Jewish Congregation
Est. July, 2007 by the merger of Temple Beth Am and Temple Beth Shalom

Temple Beth Am
was established in June 1949. It began as a dream of a handful of families. On October 4, 1951 we purchased land where our Temple now stands. Rabbi Leonard Zion was the first spiritual leader of Temple Beth Am. The Temple relied on the devotion of its members who created an intimate and personal synagogue that would express their religious needs in the modern world and would be their religious home.

The Temple remained unfinished for 12 years, until it was completed for the high Holy Days in 1963. Rabbi Stanley Yedwab came to Temple Beth Am in 1959 and was honored for 39 years of service at his retirement in 1998. Temple celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1999 and continues to attract new members as we grow. Our current Rabbi, Stephen D. Gold, began serving Temple in 1998 and our first Cantor, Jason M. Rosenman, in 2002.


Temple Beth Shalom
reform congregation was originally called the Association of Jewish Farmers. During the 1920's, the Hebrew Immigration and Aid Society advised European Jewish immigrants to move to the Dover Township area where they opened poultry farms. As the makeup of the congregation changed from farmers to professionals and others, the name also changed to Jewish Community Center. The building was renovated over the past 10 years and many stained glass windows were added. Approximately 125 families belong to the congregation of Temple Beth Shalom including several founding members. Rabbi Geller has been with us for over 15 years and in 2004 was honored in New York for 50 years of service in the Rabbinate.



back to top